Skip to main content

ECONASELS Inaugurates New Executives, Elects New NSRC Members



Oritsejolomisan Edun


The elected NASELS executives taking their oath


On Thursday, 10th September 2026, the Electoral Commission of the National Association of Students of English and Literary Studies (ECONASELS) inaugurated the newly elected NASELS executives and the NASELS Representative Council (NSRC), following the election of the NSRC.

The NSRC election was conducted to elect the clerk, deputy speaker, and speaker of the House, who would be Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3 students, respectively.

Only one honourable each showed interest in these offices: Alade Eniola (Goldie) for the position of clerk, Kukoyi Miriam (Hon. Okikiolami) as deputy speaker, and Adepoju Adetola (Hon. Danny) as speaker. All the representatives vying for membership of the House were asked to submit their transcripts to prove their eligibility for the role. After checking the transcripts, they were deemed eligible.

Following Article II, Section 25, Subsection V of the NASELS Constitution, which states, ‘First timers shall not be allowed to contest for leadership positions in the parliament except in the case where all contestants are first timers,’ the electoral chairman confirmed with the outgoing NSRC speaker that all the contestants had been members of his House.

According to Article II, Section 25, Subsection VI of the NASELS Constitution, which states, ‘Elections are mandatory except when there isn’t an exceeding number of aspirants required,’ the electoral chairman, Adeniyi Kehinde, declared the aspirants officially elected.

The new NSRC officials—the clerk, deputy speaker, and speaker—were sworn into office. They solemnly swore to uphold the integrity of the Association. The newly inaugurated NSRC officers are:

  • Alade Eniola – Clerk
  • Kukoyi Miriam – Deputy Speaker
  • Adepoju Adetola – Speaker

From L–R: The elected deputy speaker, the clerk, and the speaker of the House 


The new speaker of the House, Hon. Danny then led the representatives of each constituency, from Part 1 to Part 3, in declaring their oaths. Thereafter, he swore them in as the honourables of the NSRC for the 2025/2026 session.

Thereafter, the elected executives were asked to step forward for their inauguration. They took their oaths and were officially sworn in as the respective officers of NASELS. The newly inaugurated NASELS executives include:

  • Komolafe Precious Inioluwa – President
  • Umoru Peace – Vice President
  • Obeta Favour Mmesoma – General Secretary
  • Ibitayo Ayomide – Assistant General Secretary
  • Sadiku Oluwadunsin Richard – Librarian
  • Adedeji Abisola Priscilla – Assistant Librarian
  • Adamolekun Ayomide James – Public Relations Officer
  • Ajayi Sunday Elijah – Treasurer
  • Olagoke Samuel Opeyemi – Public Liaison Officer

Among the elected executives, in absentia was the Librarian, Sadiku Oluwadunsin Richard.


New Executives, NSRC Charged on Leadership


The erstwhile president, Francis Ohacho, congratulated the newly appointed executives. He encouraged them to be faithful to their duties, telling them that they would have to make sacrifices.

According to him, ‘The essence of leadership is to advance the interest of the department. Nothing matters more than the interest of the department, whether peer and factional interest or not.’

He also advised the new executives and the parliament to work in unity, prioritising the department.

‘You don’t have to be antagonistic. It’s not a competition between the executive and the honourables,’ he said.

While the erstwhile president gave his remarks, the staff adviser of the Association, Dr Ogundipe, stepped in. The former introduced the latter to the executives and the parliament.

The staff adviser congratulated ECONASELS on the successful conclusion of the election. He congratulated the former president of the Association, Francis Ohacho, on a successful tenure and for being able to hand over to a successor. He also congratulated the newly inaugurated NASELS executives and members of the House.

He encouraged them—the House and the Executives—to work as a team. According to him, ‘There cannot be NASELS without students and there cannot be NASELS without lecturers.’ He encouraged them to meet with him for advice, as that is the duty of a staff adviser: to guide and show the way things should be done.

The staff adviser called on the new executives to protect the aesthetics of the department by resisting poster pasting on the department walls and pillars. He encouraged them to always carry the part adviser along, mentioning that there are procedures to be followed.

Furthermore, he urged, ‘Every money must be sent to the Association account’ to promote financial accountability. He tasked the new executives with the renewal of the Association’s membership at the Division of Student Affairs (DSA). In addition, the ECONASELS chairman introduced the NSRC to the staff adviser.

The erstwhile speaker, Hon. Don, also spoke, advising the honourables that their first duty is to work for the success of the Association.

‘As honourables, you should know when to speak the truth and when it is expedient—not all truth is being said; there are some that should be overlooked and some that should be addressed,’ he said.

He advised that being an honourable is not about antagonising the executive, but about checking the excesses of the executives.

Finally, the electoral chairman, Adeniyi Kehinde, urged the newly inaugurated executives to look out for one another.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"IF I COULD GO BACK IN TIME, I WOULD PROBABLY NOT BE IN OAU" - 2025 BEST GRADUATING STUDENT, ENGLISH DEPARTMENT, OAU

 NCB: Good evening. Nice to have you here. How do you do? Afeez:Good evening. I'm good. You? NCB: I am very well. Thank God Can you introduce yourself? Tell us about your background. Afeez: My name is Olagbaju Afeez Olatomide. I'm from a muslim family of 6. I have three siblings and we are all boys. NCB: How about your educational background? Afeez: I spent all my educational life up to this moment in Ife. I attended Pearl Preparatory School while in nursery class. I proceeded to Faith Standard Schools for my primary and secondary education. I finished secondary school in 2019, applied for English language here in OAU the same year and I got admitted a few months after. NCB: So you mean to type that English was your first choice. Afeez: Yes. I chose English myself. Actually, when I was in SSS 3, I was indecisive on whether I should pursue a degree in Law or English. Later, I got to find out Law wasn't accredited as a programme in OAU that year and since a passionate love fo...

"I WOULD HATE TO MAKE PROMISES BECAUSE THEN I WOULD BE CHALLENGED TO PERFORM ABOVE THEM." - FRANCIS OHACHO, PRESIDENT OF THE DEPARTMENT OF ENGLISH, OAU.

By Mercy Ojegbola  NCB: Can we meet you? Francis: I am Francis Fortunatus Ohacho, popularly known as Sael. A part four student in the Department of English, Obafemi Awolowo University, I am the incumbent president of the department's students body. NCB: What motivated you to run for the position of President? Francis: I would like to use cliché pumped up phrases like I'm led by my passion for service and all.  People often say they knew I was going for presidency from part one due to my proactiveness, but really I didn't have the Presidency in mind till late second semester of part two.  And that's because I have only wanted to support from the sides, being a significant catalyst for development wherever I am. So I've had roles like Vice President and Fin Sec in mind, but not president. I didn't think I had it. My motivation, in summary, would be the realisation of how efficient I can be to an administration. And I don't doubt it, that with the help of the t...

"WE'RE TAKING PROACTIVE STEPS TO RESTORE OUR LECTURE SPACES TO STANDADRD." - BEWAJI AMOS, PRESIDENT OF FACULTY OF ARTS, OAU.

 By Mercy Ojegbola  Amos Olatunde Bewaji (Kizer), a 400-level Philosophy student and President of the Faculty of Arts, Obafemi Awolowo University, in an interview with NCB’s Mercy Ojegbola, shares the top priorities, vision, and goals of his team for the tenure. NCB: Your team tag, "Lumora," is quite intriguing. What does it mean, and how does it capture the goals and vision of the administration ?? Amos: The name Lumora is actually coined from the idea of light, and it symbolizes a futuristic and purposeful era, one that aligns perfectly with the vision of the Aurora Agenda. The concept of light represents clarity, direction, and renewal, which are the guiding principles of this administration. We see ourselves as bearers of light, bringing illumination to grey areas within the faculty and driving a sense of progress and unity among students. So, Team Lumora is not just a name. It is a reflection of our commitment to lead with vision, purpose, and positive transformation. NC...